Mold

Problems with mold can include allergies, infections, irritations, as well as other issues associated with toxicity. Each of these can easily affect a growing child, and since your child is still developing, he or she is more susceptible to mold's adverse effects. This means that as a parent, you have to be very aware of the risks and problems presented by exposure to mold, and act accordingly.

It is not uncommon to find mold in everyday households; in fact, many households function quite well despite its existence, but this is not to say that parents should turn a blind eye to it. Mold comes in many forms and can cause a multitude of problems in a child, most commonly allergic reactions such as asthma.

The variation of toxicity is what determines the danger of the exposure to mold, especially to children, as they are most susceptible to health problems.

 

Mold Allergies

Allergies to mold are the easiest to deal with, as there are medicines and treatments specially formulated to deal with allergens. If serious allergic reactions are present, however, it will be a priority to find and exterminate as much of the mold present as possible. Infection from mold is rare to find, since there are very few strains of mold that can infect humans, but it is possible.

Patients who contract these rare infections are found to be susceptible to the infection in the first place. Other reactions to mold, such as irritations and odor reactions, yield the typical stuffiness, nasal problems and skin irritations that can be part of an allergic reaction.

Toxic Mold

Toxic problems are the most serious reaction to mold spores. This means a toxic reaction occurs in the patient when he or she comes in close contact with the mold spore. This is not a predictable occurrence. Varying problems can result, but all are serious. Anything from respiratory problems to digestive problems to problems with the nervous system can occur.

Any of these conditions can easily hurt your child, so it is very important to get your child tested for allergies and maintain your home to eliminate as much mold as possible. Prevention is the key. There are a few ways to minimize mold growth in your home.

Make sure the humidity level in your home never falls below 40 percent and never rises past 60 percent, and during the humid summer months, use a dehumidifier to not only diminish the amount of mold, but to aid your child's breathing. Adding mold inhibitors to your paint will also help, and avoid carpeting bathrooms and basements.

Always, ALWAYS clean your bathroom for mold as well as for bacteria, and never leave soaked carpets and upholstery in place after drying. Mold will grow and flourish on these surfaces. Taking focused steps like these will safeguard your child to the fullest from toxic mold and will help you sleep that much better.

<< Return to Child Health Care >>