Welcome Guest Login or Signup
SureBaby  

August 2011 Due Date Club | etiquette question

Bookmark:
RSS 1.0     RSS 2.0
Total Views: 4791 - Total Replies: 3

POSTED BY: Helen22 on 06/13/2011 16:10:38

Hi everyone,

So my best friend told me she wants to throw a baby shower for me, so I need to create a registry and give her a guest list soon. I've never actually been to a baby shower, although I understand the general idea. My first question: Is it rude to put big, expensive gifts on the registry? I figure if I need something, and I want it to last, it makes sense to include quality furniture items, but I don't want to seem like I'm being greedy.

My second question: Who am I supposed to invite to this? Everyone I know? Just close family and friends? Do people get offended if they're not invited to a baby shower or will they appreciate that I'm not trying to get a gift out of them? 

I don't want to step on anyone's toes -- what should I do?

--------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED BY: Beans13 on 06/14/2011 11:40:42

If its something you need then just put it on the list and remember they DONT HAVE to buy it....your friend asked for a registry or just ask for gift cards for stores you want to shop at that way you can buy them......nothing wrong with that and as for guest list invinte anyone and everyone you want to see their......i personally only prefer closest fammily and friends but i know tons of ppl that invite absolutely EVERYONE they know they leave it open to anyone the've talked to.....put down everyone you want to see their dont worry about ppls feelings if they aren't teh greatest of friends and you dont want them their its YOUR baby shower not theirs hope i helped some

POSTED BY: Nutmeg on 06/24/2011 17:12:11

I'm sure every situation is different, and I don't know what the "official" etiquette is, but you might just invite family and good friends to this one.

In my experience, often several people will decide to throw showers for you - one at work, one at church, one for any sort of group you belong to. You wouldn't want people getting invited to multiple showers. The friends and acquaintances who know you through some specific context will likely put something small together for you on their own, so the "main" shower is more for family and good friends.

You might also suggest that your friend ask around if anyone else is planning something - it might seem tacky if you ask. That way she can invite work friends if they're not planning something separate. Also, sometimes the husband's family plans a separate shower, if they're not close to yours or live in another town.

In the end, though, remember that the invitation is coming from your friend, not from you, just for that reason - no one will have reason to be offended at you!

As for the registry, I'd put a wide range of items. Go ahead and put big items if you need them, but also some smaller items to fit any budget.

POSTED BY: Helen22 on 07/20/2011 10:10:15

Thanks for the advice. The shower was last weekend and it went very well. I'm pretty much ready for my little one to arrive now!

10/17/2017

Quantcast